TIMMINS POLICE SERVICE
In keeping with the Timmins Police Service’s commitment to public safety, the following Bear-Wise tips are provided as a public service.
1) Never leave garbage behind. If you must leave before garbage day, take your garbage with you when you go. Take it to an approved waste disposal site.
Put garbage in containers that have tight-fitting lids, and only put it out on garbage day, not the night before. Store garbage in a bear-resistant container, secure shed or garage.
Do not store garbage in plywood boxes, old freezers or vehicles. Do not stockpile garbage. Take it to an approved waste disposal site regularly. Keep meat scraps in the freezer until garbage day.
2) Fill bird feeders only through the winter months.
3) Never feed bears (or other wildlife) or try to approach them.
4) Remove grease and food residue from barbecue grills, including the grease trap, after each use.
5) Do not put meat, fish or sweet food (including fruit) in your composter.
6) Pick all ripe fruit off trees, and remove vegetables and fallen fruit from the ground.
7) Encourage your neighbours to practice Bear Wise habits.
8) Use a strong disinfectant to eliminate all odours from garbage and recycling containers and lids.
9) Never discard cooking grease outside. Instead, place it in a container with a lid, transfer it to a plastic bag and include it with other properly stored garbage.
10) Even non-food items like suntan lotion, insect repellent, soap and candles attract bears.
11) Close and lock all windows and doors.
12) If you are away for an extended period of time, have someone you trust check in and look for signs that a bear has either visited or broken into your property.
13) Do not leave pet food outdoors. Feed pets indoors, not outside or in screened-in areas or porches.
14) Avoid landscaping with trees, shrubs or plants that produce food known to attract bears (some examples include crab apple trees, mountain ash, beech and oak).