11 p.m. update
The following news release was issued by the Special Investigations Unit regarding today's fatality:
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man this morning in Timmins.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- At approximately 10:15 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018, officers with the Timmins Police Service responded to the Emergency Medical Services building - located at 500 Algonquin Blvd. E. – to deal with a man.
- When the man fled from the officers, they followed him.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers and one of the officers discharged a firearm.
- The man was struck. He was taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
At this time, three investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident. One subject officers and seven witness officers have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Original 1:45 p.m. information
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating the death of a man in Timmins, according to its Twitter account.
A news release from Timmins Police indicates the incident happened around 10 a.m. this morning in the area of Brunette Road and James Avenue. Police are holding the scene.
“The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has invoked its mandate, therefore no further information is available at this time,” reads the statement from Timmins Police.
“Please note that public safety is not a concern. The public is asked to avoid the area to allow for further investigation.”
The SIU is a civilian agency. It investigates incidents involving police when there is a death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.