The trailblazers of local business have been announced at the region’s biggest celebration of entrepreneurial achievement held virtually on Aug. 13, joined by viewers across Timmins and surrounding areas in celebration of the 2020 Nova Business Excellence Awards.
Hosted by The Chamber, the televised event once again reaffirmed its status as the largest business awards event in northern Ontario, with 16 local firms and entrepreneurs honoured across a range of categories. These finalists will be celebrated under the theme of Camp Nova – the Nature of Business, to showcase the many ways these entrepreneurs are survival experts, navigating the rocky and wild terrain, leading the way forward.
“Though the event looked very different this year, The Chamber knows that our business community is in need of support and a little levity,” said Val Venneri, president of The Chamber. “Every year, the Nova Awards serve as an important reminder of the many ways that our businesses work together to make Timmins so great,” said Venneri.
Chamber past president Art Pultz once again served as the event’s emcee, marking the 17th time in the event’s 18-year history he has overseen the awards ceremony. Pultz helped to highlight the slate of more than 45 finalists who were honoured throughout the evening.
The Nova Awards recipients were carefully selected from community-submitted nominations by a committee of six independent community judges. These judges determine the award recipients based on the quality of the submissions; to ensure the validity of the results, this is done without any input or influence from the Chamber Board of Directors or staff. This independence also helps to make the event one that truly belongs to the community.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has weighed heavily on our business community, and though each year, the Nova Awards features a unique theme, it is rather fitting that our theme this year reflects the great outdoors and the health benefits derived from living, working and playing in nature’s great backyard,” added Venneri.
A photo gallery of the 2020 Nova Awards, spanning the finalists’ awards and shared posts of finalist celebrations, will be available at the Chamber’s Facebook page on Friday, Aug. 21.
The recipients of the 2020 Nova Awards are as follows:
- BMT Insurance and Financial Services Business Contribution to the Community Award (1-5 employees) - Manulife Securities Inc. - Teena Simpson
- The Venture Centre Business Contribution to the Community Award (6-10 employees) - Bermuda Tan
- NorthernTel Business Contribution to the Community Award (11+ employees) - BMT Insurance and Financial Services
- FNETB Best Place to Work Award - Radical Gardens
- Newmont Young Professional Award - Rachel Pessah
- RBC Marketing Award - Full Beard Brewing Co.
- National Bank Innovation Award - Timmins Fitness Alternative
- Northern College Service Excellence Award - CJ Equipment Repairs
- Caisse Alliance New Business Award (under two years) - The Urban Farm
- TD Bank Group Business of the Year Award (1-5 employees) - Spoiled Rawt’n
- Scotiabank Business of the Year Award (6-10 employees) - Maid to Order Custom Cleaning Inc.
- Kidd Operations Business of the Year Award (11+ employees) - PADS-K9 Protection and Detection Service
- De Beers Canada Indigenous Partnership Award - Western James Bay Telecom Network
- City of Timmins Non-Profit Organization Award - Porcupine Dante Club
- OPG Lifetime Business Achievement Award - EACOM Timber Corporation
- President’s Award (sponsored by The Chamber) - J. L. Richards and Associates Limited