An upcoming series of meetings is to connect with the community, says Timmins' Mayor Michelle Boileau.
The city is holding meetings in each ward next month. Boileau will be there, along with councillors, for a chance for people to hear about capital projects and future plans specific to each of the five wards.
“The ward meetings are about conversation and connection,” said Boileau in a news release. “Council relies on resident feedback to help inform municipal decisions. We all have email or social media, but let’s sit down in the same room and really dive into what’s important to the residents in each ward.”
With budget season on the way, that process will also be highlighted at the meetings. This year's budget includes a public survey to allow residents to have their input on where they want tax dollars spent.
“Engagement activities, like community meetings, help align the priorities of Council, the municipality, and the public,” said Boileau. “We invite every resident in each ward to attend and learn more about what’s happening in their city.”
All of the meetings start at 6 p.m. and will be about 1.5 hours. The schedule is:
- Ward 1 - Thursday, Oct. 5, St. Dominque Church Hall, 365 Norman St.
- Ward 2 - Tuesday, Oct. 10. Maurice Londry Community Centre, 72 Main St., South Porcupine
- Ward 3 - Wednesday, Oct. 11, Croatian Hall, 24 Father Costello Dr., Schumacher
- Ward 4 - Monday, Oct. 16, Northern College cafeteria, Porcupine
- Ward 5 has been split in two due to its size
- Timmins North - Wednesday, Oct. 18, Collège Boréal, 395 Theriault Blvd.
- Timmins South - Monday, Oct. 23, Collège Boréal, 395 Theriault Blvd.