Public Health Ontario has reported 712 new cases of COVID-19 and nine deaths in its daily update today.
According to the epidemiology report, one person between 40 and 59 years old and eight people over 80 have died as a result of COVID-19. Of the nine people who have died recently, five were residents of long-term care homes.
Today's report includes 213 cases from Toronto, 135 from Peel, 108 from Ottawa, and 62 from York Region.
There are 387 new cases involving individuals under the age of 40.
Since yesterday, another 35 people are reported hospitalized with COVID-19, and 10 more COVID patients have been admitted to an intensive care unit.
There are 5,873 active, lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the province, including 261 people who are hospitalized with the coronavirus. There are 67 COVID patients in intensive care and 36 of them are on ventilators.
Since Friday, Oct. 9, the province has reported 5,227 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19.
To date the province has confirmed 62,908 cases of COVID-19 in Ontario and has reported 54,004 (85 per cent) of those individuals have recovered and 3,031 (4.8 per cent) have died.
Provincial public health labs processed 38,507 tests since the last report, and there are 37,155 COVID tests awaiting results. The provincial per cent positivity rate is 2.9 per cent, meaning 2.9 per cent of people who are tested for COVID test positive.
The breakdown for the Northern Ontario health units, at the time of today’s provincial update, is:
- Algoma Public Health: 39 cases, rate of 34.1 per 100,000 population.There are four known active cases.
- North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit: 40 cases, rate of 30.8 per 100,000 population. The health unit has reported 42 cases. There is one known active case.
- Porcupine Health Unit: 89, rate of 106.7 per 100,000 population. The health unit has reported 88 cases. There are two known active cases.
- Public Health Sudbury and Districts: 111 cases, rate of 55.8 per 100,000 population. There are two known active cases.
- Timiskaming Health Unit: 19 cases, rate of 58.1 per 100,000. The health unit has reported 17 cases. There are no known active cases.
- Northwestern Health Unit: 69 cases, rate of 78.7 per 100,000. There are three known active cases.
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit: 109 cases, rate of 72.7 per 100,000. There is one known active case.
The Ontario rate of infection is 423.2.