Any visitor to Third Avenue will notice the large empty hull of what used to be Sam Bucovetsky’s flagship store, which changed its name to Tweed and Hickory in 2006.
Those passing on the street would surely be able to offer up stories of weekend shopping trips to the large department store or share memories of the elaborate Christmas window displays.
Sam Bucovetsky was born in Poland and immigrated to Canada in 1904. While many immigrants came to the Northern Ontario mining region to labour underground, Bucovetsky followed the crowd (and the money), opening locations throughout the North in order to service the growing communities.
His first store was in Cobalt, followed by South Porcupine in 1909, the main location in Timmins in 1911, Schumacher in 1921, Kapuskasing in 1924, Rouyn in 1928, and Noranda in 1936.
At the peak of the business, over 1,000 people were employed at Bucovetsky’s stores, which were known for carrying goods for the “working man”. The main store in Timmins closed its doors in 2014, and is a much-missed community icon.
Each week, the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Centre provides TimminsToday readers with a glimpse of the city’s past.
Find out more of what the Timmins Museum has to offer at www.timminsmuseum.ca and look for more Remember This? columns here