Skip to content

Looking back on Cartier Motors, a local business that has recently resurfaced

In this edition of Remember This, the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Center looks back on Cartier Motors
0
981.203.51
A photo of the first Cartier Motors location. If you take a look at the first building on the left, you can almost make out the word 'Motors' painted on a sign. Timmins Museum photo

From the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Center:

A local downtown business recently uncovered a piece of history when its siding was removed for renovations. Underneath is red-colored bricks and painted lettering that reads “Cartier Motors.”

Looking through the Porcupine Advance as well as local directories, Cartier Motors was born in 1939 at 9 Spruce Street North, now 29 Spruce Street North. It first began under the name Cartier Taxi Company by Mr. Edward “Eddy” Vaillancourt. What began as a small taxi service grew and became Cartier Motors around 1945-1946. It acquired the Studebaker franchise and secured the Buick, Pontiac and GMC Truck franchises by that time. It was one of the leading organizations of its kind and had a staff of 25 who were all trained in selling as well as repair work.

In 1948, the business moved to a bigger location on the corner of Third Avenue and Mountjoy. The new location had a showroom and large, well-equipped shop. They provided day and night wrecker service and had its own radio program. For several weeks after the opening, they held daily prize draws which included prizes like a car radio, an under the seat heater, and season’s hockey tickets.

Take a peak when walking by and be sure to notice the original signage and brick work of this downtown gem from the 1930s before it is covered up again!

Each week, the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Centre provides TimminsToday readers with a glimpse of the city’s past.

Find out more of what the Timmins Museum has to offer at www.timminsmuseum.ca and look for more Remember This? columns here.




Comments