From the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Center:
Many people will remember the Broadway Theatre, which opened on the corner of Third Avenue and Maple Street in June 1941.
Patrons entered through a brightly painted door and walked into a lobby and foyer finished in pastel shades, illuminated by rolled neon tubing and cushioned by oriental rugs. Usherettes dressed in uniforms of maroon, beige, and white guided guests to their seats in the plush theatre where the stepped ceiling was painted in shades of blue to match the sky.
The Broadway Theatre was not the first theatre in Timmins by far, nor was it the grandest, but it is remembered fondly for its Saturday morning Famous Players Movie Club for Boys and Girls.
The kids club was started in 1946 by Bob Harvey and began with 900 members. Cartoons in technicolour and serial short films were shown on the big screen, but the real draw was the stage show of games and contests that happened throughout the morning.
There were doughnut dunking and eating contests in which the sugary confections were gobbled up by the two’s and three’s. Members of the club were also given the opportunity to perform on stage in front of their peers, and the best performances were awarded special prizes, such as toy pistols and airplanes donated by Bukovetsky’s, and tickets donated by the theatre.
Each week, the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Centre provides TimminsToday readers with a glimpse of the city’s past.