The next stop on the Northern Ontario Walleye Trail saw anglers heading to compete in the annual Dubreuilville Magpie Walleye Derby on the Magpie River near Dubreuilville, Ont. this past weekend.
The Magpie River offers anglers 20 miles of great fishing.
This year saw 119 teams taking a crack at winning the first place purse of $6,000.
Anglers awoke to heavy precipitation Saturday morning. As the day went on, the skies cleared only to see the winds pick up near the end of the day.
After the day one weigh-in, Jason Désormeaux and Kevin Tremblay held the first place spot with 14.90 lbs of walleye, earning them $500.
Day one results:
• 2nd $450: 12.93 lbs team #47 James Smedley and Petar Kusic
• 3rd $400: 12.88 lbs team #107 Cameron Moore and Dylan Buckell
• 4th $350: 12.66 lbs team #39 Matt Guacci and Denis Perrier
• 5th $300: 12.10 lbs team #111 Robert Collin and Jonathan Collin
• 6th $250: 11.92 lbs team #30 Jason Tremblay and Billy Guay
• 7th $200: 11.64 lbs team #5 Miguel Tailleur and Daniel Tailleur
• 8th $150: 11.17 lbs team #24 Alain Lacroix and Mark Hébert
• 9th $100: 11.05 lbs team #12 Jeff Smith and Kerry Kinderman
• 10th $50: 10.66 lbs team #61 Gilles Cyr and Bob McCoy
Sunday morning, anglers were greeted with bright, sunny skies that continued throughout the day.
At the end of the day two weigh-in, team #59 Jamie Robinson and Terry Bernath brought an impressive bag of walleye to the scales that totalled 20.65 lbs to earn them $500.
Day two results:
• 2nd $450: 14.93 lbs team #79 Joel Bernier and Yvon Bernier
• 3rd $400: 13.29 lbs team #12 Jeff Smith and Kerry Kinderman
• 4th $350: 12.79 lbs team #90 Michel Bonnieul and Vital Rouleau
• 5th $300: 12.78 lbs team #107 Cameron Moore and Dylan Buckell
• 6th $250: 12.65 lbs team #96 Dario Lord and Richard Bjorem
• 7th $200: 12.15 lbs team #39 Matt Guacci and Denis Perrier
• 8th $150: 11.89 lbs team #105 Richard Lacroix and Connie Lacroix
• 9th $100: 11.53 lbs team #41 Alan Boughner and Trevor Boughner
• 10th $50: 11.46 lbs team #86 Patrick Gendron and Sonya Gendron
Jamie Robinson’s and Terry Bernath’s big bag of walleye on day two saw the team come from 66th place after day one to win the tournament with an overall total of 26.32 lbs, and the $6,000 first place prize.
• 2nd $3,000: 25.66 lbs team #107 Cameron Moore and Dylan Buckell
• 3rd $1,500: 24.81 lbs team #39 Matt Guacci and Denis Perrier
• 4th $1,000: 24.34 lbs team #12 Jeff Smith and Kerry Kinderman
• 5th $800: 21.13 lbs team #114 Jason Désormeaux and Kevin Tremblay
• 6th $600: 20.86 lbs team #30 Jason Tremblay and Billy Guay
• 7th $450: 20.86 lbs team #86 Patrick Gendron and Sonya Gendron
• 8th $400: 20.65 lbs team #61 Gilles Cyr and Bob McCoy
• 9th $350: 20.40 lbs team #41 Alan Boughner and Trevor Boughner
• 10th $300: 19.64 lbs team #96 Dario Lord and Richard Bjorem
Biggest walleye of the weekend went to team #79 Joel Bernier and Yvon Bernier for their 9.24 lb walleye that netted them the $300 prize.
The mystery weight prizes for the weekend saw team #111 Robert Collin and Jonathan Collin win the 14-foot Princecraft boat.
Team #79 Joel Bernier and Yvon Bernier won the Loch Island Lodge fishing trip valued at $2,220.
The other four winners of the mystery weight prizes, worth $500 each, were team #53 Léo Raymond and Sophie Raymond, team #44 Roger Béland and Larry Naveau, team #39 Matt Guacci and Denis Perrier, and team #49 Suzanne Lord and Jérika Lord.
Chantal Mantha and the tournament committee would like to thank all the tournament sponsors for their generous support, and all the volunteers that took time to help make the tournament run smoothly.
They would also like to thank all the anglers for coming out to compete in the annual Dubreuilville Magpie Walleye Derby.
The next stop on the NOWT is the annual Geraldton Walleye Classic on June 24-25. Unfortunately this tournament field is already filled.
For other tournament locations and dates, please visit here.
If you missed the Mattagami First Nation Spring Walleye Tournament and would like to fish the Mattagami Fall Classic Walleye Tournament, please contact Crystel Vallée 705-363-7024 or Jessica Naveau 705-221-4248, or visit here.
Whether you're an angler or hunter; a camp, lodge, resort owner; or just holding an outdoor event and would like some exposure, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.