Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
A Place to Call Home
Algoma Steel takes great pride in preserving the high quality of life offered by the Sault – a vibrant and beautiful city that’s surrounded by stunning natural scenery. With its affordable housing, impressive work/life balance, proximity to the US, and lack of commute times, It’s the perfect place to raise a family and call home. For more information on living and working in Sault Ste. Marie visit www.welcometossm.com.
- Ensures that maintenance systems and processes are in place to safely and efficiently meet safety, reliability, quality and production objectives and long-term goals at a minimum cost, and within environmental guidelines and regulations.
- Accountable for the safe and efficient execution of maintenance work across the area
- Coordinates work activities of maintenance crews, help problem-solve issues that arise, and execute against the weekly planned maintenance schedule to ensure equipment availability
- Ensures area maintenance services are executed in a reliable, safe, and cost effective manner.
- Supports employee development, manage work performance, training activities, and effective shift-to-shift communication
- Maintains current awareness and ensure adherence to Collective Bargaining Agreement [CBA]
- Be reasonably available on off hours to respond to calls
- Accountable for the execution of Health & Safety practices and procedures as per the Company's Health & Safety Program and the Occupational Health & Safety Act, including employee training and pre-job meetings
- Leads monthly and daily crew safety meetings and improve safety performance of maintenance personnel through coaching and training
- Identifies and eliminate safety hazards in the workplace (e.g., safety audits, housekeeping, etc.)
- Develops, implements and monitors department job safe practices, department specific standard operating procedures, and lock-outs.
- Monitors equipment and maintenance KPIs and take action to address shortfalls
- Accountable for maintenance tradespeople accurately recording findings during inspections and responding to condition-based monitoring triggers
- Accountable for overall equipment reliability and execution of equipment maintenance strategies
- Meets daily with team to review new requests and changes to planning status, priority, requirements, schedule, and job status
- Accountable for tradespeople identifying work found during inspections with an appropriately detailed notification in SAP
- Coordinates with planner to review and validate priority of incoming work requests, consult on job plan development and ensure work order is completed with required resources/parts
- Decides on break-in work that has no impact on the production schedule and less than 10% impact on the maintenance weekly schedule according to a pre-defined prioritization matrix
- Sends notifications to service groups or contractors for emergency or break-in work
- Develops budget and monitor funding allocations for priority work and escalate issues as required
- Organizes and schedule planned and break-in work, and assign tasks to specific trades (by person)
- Attends weekly department scheduling meeting to review and lock weekly schedules.
- Reviews daily schedule in pre shift huddle, assign work orders, and ensure quality of work during execution and at work completion
- Accountable for maintenance tradesperson carrying out work as planned, entering confirmations on work orders, and recording feedback on job plans / bill of materials
- Provides technical assistance and technical skill building to tradespeople
- Manages the delivery of maintenance service from external service providers
- Leads pre- and post-shift huddles, line walks, and process confirmations to create a culture of execution accountability and safety, to celebrate successes, and to create a venue for giving feedback on work orders, job plans, and maintenance / equipment improvements
- Must have a minimum three (3) year Mechanical Technology diploma or must have a Mechanical trade certificate (IMT or MMT) and experience in a maintenance environment.
- Possess sound technical and related trade knowledge.
- Demonstrate good organizational, communication and problem solving skills.
- Be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of OHSA and Health & Safety and Environmental practices and procedures.
- Possess good interpersonal skills and able to function effectively in a team environment.
- Understand the principles of equipment reliability.
- Possess familiarity with maintenance methodology, practices and procedures.
- Possess good general computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Working knowledge of SAP is considered an asset.
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To learn more about our company or to apply, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.