Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
A Place to Call Home
Algoma Steel takes great pride in preserving the high quality of life offered by the Sault – a vibrant and beautiful city that’s surrounded by stunning natural scenery. With its affordable housing, impressive work/life balance, proximity to the US, and lack of commute times, It’s the perfect place to raise a family and call home. For more information on living and working in Sault Ste. Marie visit www.welcometossm.com.
- Ensures that maintenance systems and processes are in place to safely and efficiently meet safety, reliability, quality and production objectives and long-term goals at a minimum cost, and within environmental guidelines and regulations.
- Responsible for owning the entire planning process, from reviewing SAP notifications for found work to collecting and documenting feedback on completed work.
- Ensures that all roles involved in the Maintenance process (e.g., Maintenance tradesperson, Maintenance/Operations Front Line Supervisor) have the right information, tools, and other necessary resources within detailed job plans to complete maintenance work correctly and on time, therefore maintaining the reliability of plant production assets.
- Ensures area maintenance systems and programs are planned and scheduled in a safe and efficient manner that promotes asset reliability.
- Accountable for the execution of Health & Safety practices and procedures as per the Company's Health & Safety Program and the Occupational Health & Safety Act, including pre-job meetings.
- Coordinates closely with Maintenance Front Line Supervisor and Trades personnel throughout work life cycle to evaluate and define job plan details, preventative maintenance (PM) strategies, spare parts strategies, work priority and weekly schedule.
- Acts as vacation replacement for Maintenance Front Line Supervisor.
- Manages and maintain asset physical hierarchy records within the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), as well as maintaining drawings, records, and resource material within corporate systems
- Writes work notifications for identified work
- Verifies that incoming notification details meet the work request standard and follow up with Front Line Supervisor/Operator when necessary.
- Enters notifications to service groups for services required to execute job plans.
- Reviews and validate priority of incoming work requests and transfer priority ranking to skeleton work order.
- Attends weekly department prioritization meeting.
- Releases and packages work orders for Preventive Maintenance (PMs) as per equipment maintenance strategies.
- Generates detailed job plans for work identified through notifications and ensure adherence to the work order quality standard.
- Routinely reviews Maintenance Plans to descope / rescope, change interval, update Task List, etc.
- Defines scope of the work and steps required to complete the job including safety requirements, regulatory or environmental needs, technical specifications - create/pull relevant job plan and task list in SAP.
- Determines expected time for completion & dependencies on other jobs (if applicable).
- Obtains approval to secure required equipment down time, relevant permits, and funds to execute the work.
- Secures contractors within trade group/discipline.
- Updates work order status (e.g., Ready-to-Schedule, Planning Complete, Order on Hold, Waiting on Downtime, etc.).
- Plans jobs within trade group/discipline (e.g., utilities, central pools).
- Supports the planning and execution of priority break-in work.
- Reviews all Ready-to-Schedule work orders, including confirmation that the job is kitted, and upcoming production schedule to develop weekly maintenance schedule with input from Front Line Supervisor.
- Maintains 3-4 week forecast of upcoming ready work.
- Identifies and issues Purchase Requests (PRs) or Reservations for needed parts and tools specified in work order.
- Liaises with Procurement department to understand & propose mitigations against possible parts delays, and escalate issues as needed.
- Manages rebuildable spare parts including stocking level recommendations, facilitating equipment rebuilds, scrapping parts and updating the Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- Joins daily pre and post shift huddles to create a culture of execution accountability and safety, to celebrate successes, and to gain feedback on work orders and job plans.
- Solicits job plan & bill of materials feedback from executing technician and supervisor; lessons learned.
- Updates task list / job procedures given feedback; close the loop with trade who flagged issues.
- Must have a minimum three (3) year Mechanical Technology diploma or must have a Mechanical trade certificate (IMT or MMT) and experience in a maintenance environment.
- Possess sound technical and related trade knowledge.
- Demonstrate good organizational, communication and problem solving skills.
- Be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of OHSA and Health & Safety and Environmental practices and procedures.
- Possess good interpersonal skills and able to function effectively in a team environment.
- Understand the principles of equipment reliability.
- Possess familiarity with maintenance methodology, practices and procedures.
- Possess good general computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Working knowledge of SAP is considered an asset.
- This position requires the ability to climb and work at heights.
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing. If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To learn more about our company or to apply, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.