PLANNER - ELECTRICAL
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry- leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The successful candidate will be based in the Electrical Engineering & Construction Department and will report to the Electrical Engineering & Construction Superintendent.
- Prepares and coordinates work estimates and job plans.
- Prepares work orders for cost approval and subsequent execution which include job scope, man-hour estimates, job schedule (timeline), practices, procedures, permits, materials, parts, and equipment/services.
- Tracks & closely monitors equipment purchases and helps expedite delivery. Including organizing and coordinating materials for projects.
- Works closely with Electrical Engineering to procure parts for projects.
- Prepares daily and weekly work order schedules with involvement of FLS.
- Co-ordinates downtime and conducts meetings related to planned work.
- Reviews and reports on the backlog of maintenance work, shop and purchase orders.
- Monitors and reconciles all aspects of work orders with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Establishes and maintains technical standards, equipment specification records and equipment/assembly BOM’s.
- Utilizes computer skills regularly (i.e. SAP), MS Project, Spreadsheets, etc).
- Effectively chairs or participates in meetings.
- Supports department goals and objectives.
- Occasionally required to direct Construction tradesmen on repair days, emergency situations and/or project requirements.
- Provides vacation relief for the Electrical FLS.
- Will be accountable for dealing with external vendors for all upcoming projects.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a 442 or 309 Electrical Trade certification.
- Three (3) years experience in a Maintenance or Construction work environment is preferred.
- Must have good knowledge of construction installation requirements.
- Should have good knowledge of the Ontario Electrical code.
- Should have experience with various types of Industrial Electrical & Automation Systems (Drives, PLCs, Power, Instrumentation, etc.)
- Must have the ability to read and interpret technical drawings and be able to produce technical sketches & drawings as required.
- Must possess sound technical or related trade knowledge and be a disciplined and procedure oriented individual.
- Must be able to function effectively within a team environment, have good communication skills and be able to accept and support change.
- Must have strong organizational skills, be a self-starter and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Must possess a demonstrated knowledge and commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental policies.
- A thorough knowledge of Maintenance \ Construction practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of maintenance quality standards and quality systems is an asset.
- Must possess or be willing to upgrade computer skills (SAP, MS Project, MS Visio, MS PowerPoint, Spreadsheets, etc).
- Must be able to pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear a SCBA.
- Must be comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces.
- Will be required to work in all areas of the Steel plant.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
Fulltime Permanent Unionized Position
Work week - 40 hours
Salary Range - $84,003 (depending upon experience)
Extended Health Benefits package and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan