HR ADVISOR, SICK LEAVE & ATTENDANCE
ESSAR STEEL ALGOMA INC.
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Essar Steel Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
We are seeking a professional to manage the sick leave program at Algoma, with the objective of reducing overall non-occupational absenteeism. This individual will play an integral role in communications between 3 rd party claims adjudication and our operating units, to facilitate return to work, including early and safe return to modified work.
The ideal candidate possesses a post-secondary science/medical related degree with experience in their field, such that they can draw upon their knowledge to identify appropriate work opportunities for employees with temporary (or longer term) medical restrictions.
This role will be performed within the parameters of our policies, collective agreements and related employment legislation.
Sick Leave Process management
- Assist departments in managing and adjudicating the first 7 days of sick leave
- Provide instruction to employees for the timely completion of STD (Short Term Disability) applications
- Liaise with STD and LTD (Long Term Disability) Adjudicators on a regular basis to ensure the timely processing of applications, and management of claims
- Communicate claim approvals/extensions to home department, and to Payroll for timely payment
- Contact employees when claims have been denied, to facilitate return to work
Early and Safe Return to Work
- Identify and facilitate return to work opportunities with the home department, by reviewing the medical restrictions and limitations provided
- Assist in identifying suitable work accommodation where the home department cannot accommodate a return to work
- Monitor and support the return-to- work process with the employee
- Analyze sick leave data at the company and department level to identify trends and issues. Work with departments to develop strategies to address absenteeism issues.
- Analyze sick leave data at the individual level. Assist in determining when employees should enter the Attendance Management Program.
- Prepare Absenteeism letters in support of the Attendance Management Program. Lead attendance management meetings, and manage follow up issues.
- Train supervisors/managers in sick leave and attendance management policies and practices
- Represent the company at joint union management meetings related to sick leave management; work with the unions to resolve related issues
- Work with the Claims Management Specialist to understand the WSIB process in terms of legislative requirements and the internal process of reducing lost time through work accommodation, as outlined in the Return to Work policy. Backfill the Claims Management Specialist as required.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Post-secondary science/medical degree (e.g. Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Chiropractic, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in your profession
- Industry (primary/secondary) experience is an asset, but not required. Successful candidates must invest the time to understand the types of jobs/roles within a steel company as it relates to work accommodation
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance of early and safe return to work
- Knowledge of legislation (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Human Rights) and collective agreements relative to sick leave management and accommodation in the workplace
- Must become an expert in Attendance Management best practices.
- Solutions oriented individual, demonstrating strong analytical, problem solving, decision-making and communication skills
- MS Excel, Word and Power Point.
This is an Exempt (non-union) position. The salary range is $63,147 - $78,934 - $94,720 (depending upon experience). An Extended Health Benefits package, Discretionary Performance Bonus and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan are also included in the compensation package.
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job title, by November 27, 2017. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com